Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mind Map Madness


Choosing from the two programs Bubbl.us and text2mindmap to create a concept map was easy for me; I found both programs very user friendly but that may be because I am a Digital Native (Prensky 2001). I didn’t even have to read the user guides provided, so I made my decision based on presentation (what mapping appealed to me visually). My choice may have been influenced by the fact that I am very much a visual learner. How could I use this in my classroom? Concept mapping help students organise information, they help students recognise and use patterns in information. Mind Mapping can aid students in figuring out what is important and link relationships among the pieces of information. This process is said to facilitate students in understanding, using and retaining the information (Marzano & Pickering, 1997). The free concept mapping programs which are available via the internet would make it possible for students to use this organisation strategy anywhere at any time. They could use this tool at home or in school to help them quickly and easily break up any new or even old steps, processes and information with homework, projects or assignments. Online concept maps can be done on paper but getting the students to use the computer program may just interest and entice them that little bit more being digital natives and all. Making these programs available to students in class will provide them with the opportunity to practice and use these skills anytime they feel they need to. Student knowledge of these mapping programs can also provide the students with the chance to use them at home and include their parents in organising their learning.

References
Marzano, R. J., & Pickering, D. J. (1997). Dimensions of Learning (2nd Edition ed.). Aurora, Colorado: McRel.

Prensky, M 2001, On the horizon, Digital natives digital immigrants, University press.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eva, I am following your blog as part of the uni task. I was looking at your mindmap and I am wondering why you did not include Connectivism as part of the Learning Theory strand? Do you see it as something seperate? Or is this how you have understood the knowledge? Looking forward to your reply.
    Wendy S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank's for your tips! Wish you lot's love and inspiration!
    mobilenanny.org

    ReplyDelete