Thursday, August 19, 2010

Video Killed the Radio Star



I had a lot of trouble trying to use the upload link within blogger; my video just wouldn't finish processing in order to publish in my post. I didn't want all my efforts to create my video go to waste, and I am not one to just give up. After multiple attempts to fix the problem and multiple draft posts later I came up with another idea to upload my video to my blog. YouTube did the trick I uploaded my video to YouTube simply by selecting the link found in the top right hand corner of the tool bar in Windows Live Movie Maker. I could not have found the patience to finally complete this blog with video included if it weren’t for my partners help. Thank-you, Billy.

Here is my very first video. I must admit when I discovered that I had to create a video for topic 5’s blog post I was a little unenthusiastic. I thought that making a digital video would be a painful, complex and fiddly mission. I have had to create videos with others in the past for university assignments, in fact I recently helped conducted a number of interviews which were edited and used in a video to support our group presentation. However, I have never actually had to put together a video on my own.

So to make it a little easier on myself I decided to use the instructions for the paper plate butterfly art and craft activity as I used before in my previous podcast. I thought using this particular idea (Paper Plate butterfly) for both the podcast (audio) and digital video (visual) would be useful for different preferences (learning styles). This backed up approach would work in many other circumstances in the classroom, catering and supporting individual student learning needs whilst they undertake a particular task.


I found Windows Live Movie Maker enjoyable and very user friendly, well at least from a digital native’s point of view. I had no trouble working out how to use the many features the Movie Maker had to offer to tweak and perfect my video. I did however have trouble adding music to the video as I have a new computer and this means I no longer have my vast music and sound clip collection, until I transfer them over. So I decided to use a sample music file that came with the computer. Although for just a sample file I think it is a rather groovy tune.

Windows Live Movie Maker can be found on most Window operating computers, making this program ideal for classroom use. Therefore Windows Live Movie Maker is a program that is straightforward and accessible to anyone in and out of the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Agree with you that the uploading obstacles and some of the glitches can become very disheartening. While the value of such a tool is not being disputed, the time taken to engage productively with the IT can be confronting - especially when there is so much else to learn, as well as our own lives to lead!

    Nice butterfly idea though - might use it for our four kids on the holidays. Well done.

    ReplyDelete