Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Voki



This is my very first Voki, I created it using http://www.voki.com/ . I had heard about Voki’s from my fellow Emerald uni students who completed e-Learning last year. But I had never used one myself. I had so much fun making my Voki; I tried to make it look as much like myself as possible there were so many options to choose from. There are so many possibilities that Voki’s could be used for, I would definitely use this easy to use tool in my own classroom and recommend it to others as well.

This tool could be used in the classroom:

Student blogs - students can explore, communicate and project themselves, they can express themselves and or even become a whole new character and still keep student identities confidential.
Provide opportunities - to those students who may not be so confident in operating videos and or vodcasts.
Engage (hook) students – Students will find creating and sharing their own personal Voki challenging, interesting and very enjoyable. When students are very engaged in classroom tasks, they learn much more (Marzano & Pickering, 1997).
Advocate for different learning styles – students who are audio and visual learners would benefit for the use of an online Voki. Students have individual learning styles, a Learning Manager needs to be taking these into account and cater to each student’s needs. When students learning styles are supported learning and motivation are enhanced (McInerney & McInerney, 2006).

References

Marzano, R. J., & Pickering, D. J. (1997). Dimensions of Learning (2nd Edition ed.). Aurora, Colorado: McRel.

McInerney, D. M., & McInerney, V. (2006). Educational Psychology Constructing Learning (4 ed.). Frenchs Forest, NSW: Pearson Education Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment